My Adventures In A State Of Semi-Adulthood

I think the title says it all....

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Had I Only Known I'd Broken The Laws of Classroom Etiquitte By Teaching My Class, I'd Have Never Been A Teacher. I'm So Sorry For Being So Rude

Ok, so today I had yet another mind-blowing, unbelievable, stunning momment as an educator in the public school system. I seriously couldn't believe it. Talk about a blind-sided comment. Here's the story.

I'm trying to teach my 3rd period class, which, by the way--if you haven't yet heard my rantings about 3rd pd, it is my worst class (I can't even begin to explain the kinds of things I experience in 3rd pd. You'd have to just see the tapes. That's right, I video tape them for evidence to show parents, but I digress...)and all through the class period I have kids talking. One girl-a new girl as of last week- in particular, however, is especially driving me crazy. So, after class, I go to her and tell her that she was being rude and disrespectful. Here is how this conversation went.


Me: Ashita, (and yes, that's her real name) I really don't appreciate you disrespecting me while I'm trying to teach.
Ashita: Miss, I wasn't doing anything.
Me: Yes, you were talking the whole class period and I asked you several times to stop. You were being rude and disrespectful.
Ashita: I wasn't disrespecting noone
Me: When you talk while I'm teaching, you disrespect me, and your classmates that are trying to learn.
Ashita: Oh, well I didn't know.
Me: Well, now you know, and if it happens again, I will ask you to leave. I will not try to talk over you again.
Ashita: Well, I was talking first.
Me:(Stunned at the audacity of a student to actually say that aloud) No, see, that's where you're wrong. This is my classroom, and I talk first, and I tell you when to talk. Are we clear on this? I'm in charge here, not you. If it happens again, you will be excused.

So there you have it. The conversation that continues to this minute to send my mind spinning. I just wanted to say "Oh, excuse me. I wasn't aware that you were talking first. How inconsiderate and rude of me. Had I known that my teaching was going to be an inconvenience in your life, I never would have become a teacher. Please, please, forgive me." But really, I just wanted to smack her. And if she were my child, I probably would have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason Graham said...

I miss you like the warm sun. Sorry you are learning so much in such a short amount of time. That can be rather overwhelming. I wonder how that girl feels everytime she writes her name. :). LOVE!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Brenna Bee said...

you're so kind and compassionate. I had not considered what she might think when she writes her name. For reasons such as that, you are one of my favorite people.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home